SKIP INTRO? See Best 10 Mountain Bikes for Beginners
Riding mountain bikes has been one of the most pleasant and thrilling physical activity for starters in the past few years. Mountain biking usually takes place away from the towns and cities so riders can have fun in the refreshing breeze and enjoy the scenery. Additionally it is a good form of exercise that assists you to build up your stamina and tenacity. In spite of that a large number of people are skeptical about trying this sport because of the relatively high cost of mountain bikes compared to other bicycles.
Fortunately these days there are several types of entry level mountain bikes that can adequately meet your needs. In purchasing a mountain bike that best meets your needs one considers aspects like design, nature of surface it is going to be used, individual preference and cost. Below is a description of the 10 best beginner mountain bikes to guide you in choosing a bike that adequately meets your needs.
Selecting the Most Appropriate Starter Bike
Before buying a new mountain bike it is important to meticulously take into account the following factors.
You should select a bicycle with frame of high quality, strong, long lasting and it should suit your height and weight. Although with time a bicycle frame all require modification the bike’s original frame should last long for a reasonable time for you to determine your true interest and biking ability.
Always avoid those made from plastics. When choosing a brakes weight is an important consideration. Disk brakes are the best suited for mountain bikes since they are heavier compared to rim brakes. However when you opt for a very light bike then rim brakes are best but if you have to choose between poor quality disk brake and good quality rim brake always go for the good quality rim type brake.
You should select the best derailleurs and avoid those made of plastic. Plastics are easily damaged.
Always go for well-known brands when acquiring a mountain bike. With a well-known brand you are assured of quality, performance and good after sales service.
To be better advised on the model of bicycle to choose it is important also to go through customer review on the internet as many bike models may not have performed as expected by customers.
For your bike to function well the components should be assembled in the right way. Apart from follow user manuals, one can also download YouTube videos and follow through. If unable to assemble the parts on own your own it is advisable to get help from an expert.
10 Best Beginner Mountain Bike Types to Purchase
Diamondback Women’s Lux Bicycles 2016 Hard Tail of Mountain Bike
Mongoose Full Suspension Impasse Dual Mountain Bicycle
Diamondback Hard Tail Bicycles Sorrento Complete of Mountain Bike
Schwinn Men’s 18 High Timber Mountain Bike
Schwinn Protocol Dual-Suspension for Men Bike
BEIOU® 650B Carbon Fiber Mountain Bike T800 27.5-Inch Ultralight Frame
Nashbar 29er Single-Speed Mountain Bike
Diamondback Bicycles Hardtail 2016 Laurito Mountain Bike
Alton Mammoth Fat-Tire Mountain Bike
Merax Finiss 21 Speed Aluminum Mountain Bike
1/ Diamondback Women’s Lux Bicycles 2016 Hard Tail of Mountain Bike
This model is specifically made for women and is ideal for beginners. The bike’s frame from aluminum hence it is light in weight and long-lasting. For easy dismounting its top tube is set at a much lower level for create an standing allowance. It has a solid grip and its saddle and handlebars are customized for women. The bikes best feature if its tires which are strong and equipped with Kevlar guard for protection against damage. Additionally it has Shimano derailleur and hydraulic disc brakes.
- Custom made for women
- The top tube is installed at a much lower level
- Equipped with Shimano derailleur and disc type brakes
- Relatively heavy
- Its parts are made of low quality plastic
- Not suitable and comfortable when it comes to long distances
2/ Mongoose Full Suspension Impasse Dual Mountain Bicycle
From its name it is a full suspension mountain bike. Even though it is not advisable to perform bike suspensions in mountainous areas, this mountain bike features conspicuous and is one of the most ideal bikes for starters.
This bike is well liked for a number of reasons. It has an aluminum suspension frame that increases comfort and normal performance especially when riding on a rugged ground. The Suspension Fork Element allows rider to be in full control of the bike and it also levels out bumps. Additionally it has a 21 speed Shimano rear derailleur including the SRAM twist shifters that allow rider to comfortably and quickly adjust gears. The bike is well equipped with quick release front alloy wheels that are easily removable and back and front disc alloy brakes.
- Aluminum frame makes it lighter and robust.
- Rear derailleur made from high quality Shimano.
- Suspension Fork allows better control and absorbs shock.
- Kickstand is relatively small.
- Shock absorption can be bettered.
- Seat is not comfortable.
3/ Diamondback Hard Tail Bicycles Sorrento Complete of Mountain Bike
The aforementioned model is considered the best bicycle model for mountain biking first stage. This bike is designed for both gender and due to its small frame it is also suitable for children.
Its design has been upgraded for better performance to enhance the safety and satisfaction especially for beginners. The bike has very firm and secure direct pull brakes and an exceptionally excellent automatic response. This exceptional performance gives the wheels sufficient support to able to efficiently run over obstacles. The brake arms are easily reachable by the rider and when engaged cause the brake pads to apply pressure and friction to the wheel making it stop.
- Changing of gears is meant to be seamless and braking very fast.
- The bike is light in weight but at the same time long lasting.
- It consists of Shimano thumb shifters, a changeable witch and Front Spinner Suspension
- Equipped with quick release wheels.
- Plastic used to make the pedals
- Its is not equipped with disc type brakes pedals
- Stock seat is not comfortable
4/ Schwinn Men’s 18 High Timber Mountain Bike
The Schwinn Men’s 18 High Timber Mountain bike model is designed to serve several functions. It is perfect both rugged and even areas such as local paths or in the surrounding. It has Shimano speed shifters which facilitate shifting of up to 21 speeds as well as Shimano rear derailleurs. It offers high speed and quick speed shifting. Its state-of-the-art frame improves balance while its Schwinn model suspension fork reduces vibrations for comfortable riding on different types of terrain. Its alloy wheels and brakes are very responsive and allow quick breaking. Its alloy crank is made of three pieces that facilitates quick adjusting of gears.
- This bike serves several functions
- It has Shimano speed shifters and rear derailleurs
- State-of-the- art frame
- Putting the components appears problematic
- Its handlebars are fitted relatively close making it unsuitable for taller people
- Compared to other bikes its frame is not that light
5/ Schwinn Protocol Dual-Suspension for Men Bike
The model is designed for men; has wheels with a diameter of 26 inches and dual suspension frame. The bike is equipped with Shimano trigger shifters and can shift up to 24 speeds. Its handlebars have a new design that allows rider to quickly and easily shift gears. It has alloy rims with bladed spokes that are black in color. The bike’s wheels are well-fitted with improved Proax disc brakes and the front brakes facilitate rapid and sudden stops.
- Its wheels with a diameter of 26 inches
- Its dual suspension frame for comfort and control
- Its handlebars new design
- Does not come with a water bottle holder
- Mainly suited for easy going rides
- Its setup instructions are no good
6/ BEIOU® 650B Carbon Fiber Mountain Bike T800 27.5-Inch Ultralight Frame
This model costs more compared to other bikes because of its fineT800 carbon fiber frame which operates well on even the roughest of surfaces. The carbon made frame makes this bike extremely light in weight compared to those with aluminum frames and also lasts longer. It also has Shimano hydraulic disc brakes and a gear switching system that offer fast and highly responsive breaking and speed switching. The bike is well designed to reduce vibrations, provide control and ensure an even and comfortable ride with its frame designed using carbon fiber, seat supports and handlebars.
- Extremely light in weight
- Ideal for experienced mountain bikers
- Robust carbon fiber frame
- Torque specifications not available.
- The seat is stiff.
7/ Nashbar 29er Single-Speed Mountain Bike
Several people prefer bikes that are designed with only one speed. With single speed bikes, the rider simply appreciates the ride and does not have to worry about changing gears every one and then. This model is the best option for people who prefer single speed bikes.
This bike’s frame is made from 6061 aluminum making it unsusceptible to different weather conditions, light in weight and durable. Its wheels are equipped with mechanical brakes that very dependable and are undamaged by water giving the rider freedom to ride in wet areas or in the rain. The front end of the bike has a solid fork that reduces shaking in vigorous riding. It has 29-inch wheels and WTB Nano tires that provides sufficient grip on the road and evens out the ride.
- It has large wheels with a diameter of 29 inches are able to easily run over obstacles making the ride easy.
- It is an ideal bike due to the WTB Nano tires.
- Equipped with Chromoly forks that reduce shaking and increase force therefore riding on rugged areas becomes easier.
- This bike is suitable for people of height 5’3”
- Its adequacy and suitability makes it an excellent choice for beginners.
- When putting together inferior elements are introduced.
- Low quality brakes.
8/ Diamondback Bicycles Hardtail 2016 Laurito Mountain Bike
Its notable wheels of 27.5 inch diameter make it usable in diverse surfaces. It also has a Suspension Fork and seven derailleurs and made of pure Shimano to enable the bike run over bumps and other obstacles easily. The bike’s frame is designed from aluminum that is not easily damaged by heat hence making it sturdy. The bike consists of more than 21 gears that and the rider can easily shift from one gear to another.
- Frame is made of aluminum that is not easily damaged by heat
- It has exceptional wheels of diameter 27.5 inches for better traction
- Has Shimano derailleurs and fork
- Putting together the parts is problematic
- Cannot withstand very rough terrains
9/ Alton Mammoth Fat-Tire Mountain Bike
This model has a 26" frame made of alloy with big tires and is custom made for expert trail use. It offers up to 27 speeds and it can be used in almost all surfaces. Its front and back derailleurs are made of Shimano to ensure a smooth and comfortable ride as well as efficient gear shifting. The frame is long lasting and strong enough to hold up the rider’s weight.
Its broad tires furnished with deep treads give rider control and grip on different types of surfaces including snow while its disc brakes allow rider stop whenever and wherever needed.
- It is consists of an alloy frame
- Suitable for all types of terrain
- Large tires with deep treads to increase grip
- The bike’s frame is small hence unsuited for taller people
- Seat is stiff
- The frame is perceived as being heavy by a number of people
10/ Merax Finiss 21 Speed Aluminum Mountain Bike
Such a model is well suited for starters interested in elegant specifications and fundamental components. Speed derailleurs and shifters offer consistent, quality and responsive switching. It provides amazing control and its wheels are fitted with reliable mechanical brakes to allow rider stop when there is need. As the name suggests the bike’s frame is made of aluminum making strong but light in weight. It is also fitted with an 80mm suspension fork that absorbs shock to allow for an even ride on rough terrain. It offers 21 speeds to enable the rider have a good time riding in various surfaces. It requires one to go through manual instructions to put together 20% of the components that come unassembled.
- Frame is made of aluminum hence light and durable
- By following instructions on the manual rider can easily put the parts together.
- Its white and red colors are attractive.
- It is generally a satisfactory bike.
- Not good enough for people who are more than 5’10” tall.
- Its brakes sometimes fail.
It might appear easy for starters to select the best mountain bike but again it can get complicated due to the inadequacy in knowledge and understanding about mountain bikes. The information outlined in this article is intended to assist you in identify the bike that will best meet your needs. There are bikes designed for irregular and rugged surfaces and there are those for regular surfaces so it is important for you to appreciate this fact while making a pick. From the models of starter mountain bikes sampled in this text you can be able to pick a bike that meets your preference. Mountain biking is a fun activity therefore let nothing hold you back from getting your fantasy bike and explore this sport.